18 replies to this topic

#16 ViolaGirl

ViolaGirl

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:37 PM

That reminds me, something that confused me. Well, I'm going to assume if you had an acoustic fretless guitar you couldn't use a sustainer, because that's only for electric, right? Is there any way to sustain the sound on an acoustic, even by just a little? I don't know how bad the sustain is, as I've never had the opportunity to hear one played before. I wanted to see if there was any sound clips of fretted guitar vs. fretless guitar, just so I could finally get an idea, but I couldn't find anything. *sweatdrop*

#17 zea

zea

Known Gaggle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:53 AM

Check out the one called RAY (i'm plying a short intro part from Bumblefoot - Ray gun). You can check the rest out too, but thoese are fretted.

http://alumni.gradua...guitar/zea/new/

#18 transient

transient

Lesser Gaggle

• Hon Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:54 AM

That reminds me, something that confused me.  Well, I'm going to assume if you had an acoustic fretless guitar you couldn't use a sustainer, because that's only for electric, right?  Is there any way to sustain the sound on an acoustic, even by just a little?  I don't know how bad the sustain is, as I've never had the opportunity to hear one played before.  I wanted to see if there was any sound clips of fretted guitar vs. fretless guitar, just so I could finally get an idea, but I couldn't find anything. *sweatdrop*

Well, you could use a sustainer like the Sustainiac Model-C on acoustic guitars.

http://sustainiac.com/

I guess you could use that even on a viola, by miking the instrument and plugging the mic to model-C's input. However you don't need it, as you already have infinite sustain using a bow :D

Sustain is not that bad on a good fretless. It's just that the notes sustain shorter than on a fretted guitar, mainly because you use your finger to stop the strings, instead of metal frets. I'm recording short pieces using a fretless classical guitar, i'll post a mp3 in a day or two (to the fretless classical thread under the materials forum), so you'll be able to see how bad the sustain can get on a do-it-yourself fretless. ;)

emre
No guitars were harmed during the collection of the information presented in this post.
Can't say the same thing for frets though...

#19 jahloon

jahloon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

I'm taking commercial pilot program right now , but just love music too.

In Steve Vai's footsteps!

Good luck with the commercial ticket, it will be worth it!

Jeff
Play the blues guitar with your soul, but play the fretless guitar with your spirit.
Author of the book "Fretless Guitar The Definitive Guide" fretlessguitar.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users